Sunday, July 20, 2014

What's on the design wall in July?

I got my Sunset Sail quilt top completed and it is hanging on my design wall. I want to keep it wrinkle free until I can take it to my long arm quilter. Yes, I am not going to quilt it myself.  I have a scrappy one that is on the runway for getting quilted by me, and a few baby quilts.  I will post a nice photo of this Sunset Sail once, I have it finished.  Right now, Merlinda is sleeping peacefully in it's glow.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Council, Idaho, Annual Quilt Show

I went to the Council Quilt Show today, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  They had the friendliest people there and some wonderful quilts.  They, like many quilt shows, have "Challenge Blocks", but their challenge blocks have to be made to reflect the theme of the show. Their theme for 2014 is "Life on the Farm", and all the challenge blocks reflected that well.  I did notice they apparently do not have a requirement on how much of the challenge material must be used in the blocks, as one with a goat only had the nostrils made from the challenge fabric. It must have been a lot of fun. They had a student category, but only two quilts entered. But what fantastic quilts they were! They were made by High School students, and they were big, like queen size, and just wonderful.
The red & black fabric is the challenge fabric. This is the block I voted for.
I took a photo of my most favorite quilt in the show. Quilt name is Scrappy. It was pieced by Lillian Taylor, a Hornet Creek resident, in 1957. It was hand-quilted by Sally Cole in 2014. It was stored in a barrel for 55 years after the quilt top was given to Lillian Taylor's grandson, Lee Cole, when he was 25 years old.  Sally Cole saved it and finished it, and she plans to give it to one of Lillian's great-great or 3X great grand children.  I love the story. It is wonderful that Sally completed this wonderful quilt.
I love the old fabrics and the free-style piecing.
Sally Cole hand-quilted each block with a diamond in a square pattern.

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Purple Majesty

Letters sewn down, border sewn on, now I need to sandwich and quilt. I am making progress on this banner.  I call it a banner, because it will be announcing the 2015 Quilt Show Theme for the Kuna Quilt Show. I am also going to make a stand to display it on. That is the part I can hardly wait for. I do so want to make that stand!  Where does my passion lie?

Friday, June 13, 2014

What's On The Design Wall in June?

Lot of fabric sharing going on. That fine Robert Kaufman accounting fabric caught Cindy's eye.  Teresa gave it to me. I took it to Cindy, down at the Pharmacy last Saturday afternoon. We swapped. I gave her the accounting fabric, which she is giving to her sister, and she gave me the purple majesty sky fabric for my banner at the quilt show. I am making a banner announcing the theme of the 2015 Kuna Quilt Show. The theme is "Purple Majesty."  The show is in six weeks, so I got started last Saturday and have it this far by today, Friday.  Yeah! Isn't that sky fabric fabulous?
  I just have to sew down the letters, add the border, sandwich, quilt, and bind.  It is not so very big, so it will not be too difficult.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Memorial Day Weekend Bidness!

I am happy to have graduated from walker to a cane; bright orange with leopard spots, naturally!  On Saturday we decorated some graves then made a brief stop at the local quilt shop for some b&w fabric for roads between my liberated house blocks!  OMG! they had some Wizard of Oz fabric with Dorothy, the Scarecrow, Tinman, and the Lion, that the figures were just the right height for my liberated houses.  I bought a fat quarter of that and a bit of two of the b&w fabrics.  Monday afternoon, I finally got my extra flag anchor knotted onto the cord on my flag pole, and got my bigger flag up and flying.  Yeah! That took me about two months to get to.  Then . . .  I counted how many liberated house blocks had men and how many had women and determined I was short on women, so I started on the Dorothy liberated house block.  I also finished it the same evening!  It is true I did purchase fabric for Dorothy to be in the doorway, but otherwise, I am trying to only use fabric I already have in my stash.  I did not have any ruby slipper fabric, but I had wading boot (goolashes, Wellies, or rubber boots) fabric! I knew the Tin Man needed a heart and I have heart fabric. I wanted to use green to represent the Emerald City, but I used my avocado background Munchkin zombie fabric instead, so I guess it would be the Avocado City.  Of course . . . poppies, poppies! for the roof.  I went through my barn and farm fabric stash looking for those strange colored pig fabric scraps, but could not locate them, that is when I decided against the green sky and went with the yellow with barn yard animals for the background. I placed a yellow brick road at the door leading passed the tree. Note the tree and the roof are tilted because the tornado is coming!  
Toto, we are not in Kansas anymore. We are in Caroland!

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Daria's Disappearing Four Patch Nearly Finished!

The Knotty Quilters are doing a group project. I am doing Daria's blocks, and I must say they are coming along.  We needed more blocks with red, so here is more red.
The top one is a finished block, just not trimmed up yet.