Friday, August 4, 2023

The Picnic Quilt

This is Hachi quilt number 3.  I had it on the design wall last month.  It is made from men shirts (the shirts of men).  Three belonged to my husband and two I got at the thrift store, but now they are in an amazingly soft quilt that I designed for use as a picnic quilt.  I put a shirt tail on all four edges of the quilt.  I sewed the ends into the piecing, and left little cubby spaces between the quilting, so one can tuck one's napkin in, and it won't blow away.



Plus, I used a pocket piece from each of the four shirts.  The fifth shirt was a dark woven shirt, I used as the unexpected visitor in the quilt.  It is part of the unexpected, curved-piecing I decided to use.  I also incorporated a few blocks made from the cotton sheet that I used for the backing and the binding.

The batting is two scrap pieces of 'Warm and White', I joined on my sewing machine.  I did the quilting on my home machine, using stitch-in-the-ditch.  I washed all the shirts and the sheet prior to construction, then again after I completed it.  It is so soft, I wish I had made it bigger, so I could snuggle in it.  

In the beginning, there were shirts . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment