Saturday, June 28, 2014

Council, Idaho, Annual Quilt Show

I went to the Council Quilt Show today, and thoroughly enjoyed myself.  They had the friendliest people there and some wonderful quilts.  They, like many quilt shows, have "Challenge Blocks", but their challenge blocks have to be made to reflect the theme of the show. Their theme for 2014 is "Life on the Farm", and all the challenge blocks reflected that well.  I did notice they apparently do not have a requirement on how much of the challenge material must be used in the blocks, as one with a goat only had the nostrils made from the challenge fabric. It must have been a lot of fun. They had a student category, but only two quilts entered. But what fantastic quilts they were! They were made by High School students, and they were big, like queen size, and just wonderful.
The red & black fabric is the challenge fabric. This is the block I voted for.
I took a photo of my most favorite quilt in the show. Quilt name is Scrappy. It was pieced by Lillian Taylor, a Hornet Creek resident, in 1957. It was hand-quilted by Sally Cole in 2014. It was stored in a barrel for 55 years after the quilt top was given to Lillian Taylor's grandson, Lee Cole, when he was 25 years old.  Sally Cole saved it and finished it, and she plans to give it to one of Lillian's great-great or 3X great grand children.  I love the story. It is wonderful that Sally completed this wonderful quilt.
I love the old fabrics and the free-style piecing.
Sally Cole hand-quilted each block with a diamond in a square pattern.

No comments:

Post a Comment