Saturday, November 15, 2014

Inspiration from one another (snowmen!)

     Being around other quilters and doing things with other quilters causes a chain of creative events that are immeasurable.  I have a friend that I like to do things with, and we are both quilters. I was out of my favorite strawberry rhubarb jam, that can only be obtained at Cliff's Country Market in Caldwell.  Also, I needed to pick-up a gluten free apple pie.  Cliff's has the best, no. 1, gluten free apple pie in their frozen GF section. 
     We drove over to Cliff's and got yummy things.  Then I thought why not stop in a quilt shop while we are in the neighborhood?  We did.  She behaved, but I had to buy some fabric.  While we were there, another quilter came in and was asking advice on a small quilt she was working on.  I loved it!  It was delightful and simple in design.  My friend and I, headed for the nearest best Mexican restaurant, where we drew the design out on a hastily found piece of scrap paper. 
     A few weeks later, my same friend and I planned a trip to Weiser to visit Judy Ann's Quilt Shop.  What fun we had.  Her niece was running the store, when we got there, at 3:00 in the afternoon.  Such nice fabrics, most of which we had not seen down in the valley.  I spent all my mad money!  I got two different snowflake fabrics.  I found some awesome 50's car hop fabric, and I bought enough to make the front and back of a quilt for my cousin.  Such a nice time we had.
     That evening I took out that piece of scrap paper and went through my fru-fru quilting fabric and scraps and pieced that entire wall hanging.  It took me Monday and Tuesday evenings to sew on the snow man faces; five of them. I got the "Fru-fru Snowmen" wall hanging completely quilted and bound by Friday evening, November 7. 
     Yesterday, I surprised my friend with this darling snowman wall hanging at our "Cindy's Retreat" yesterday afternoon.  I am getting ready to head back there in a few minutes.  I, and even my mother, think it turned out well, even though I used the non-winter fabrics on it.  I sewed the binding on the backside, then turned it to the front and machine stitched it in place with a snowflake stitch!
This is so cheery!

No comments:

Post a Comment