Sunday, August 23, 2015

Council Quilt Show Challenge Blocks

My husband drove me and T up to the Council (Idaho) Quilt Show on Friday, July 3.  We had a fine time.  We enjoyed the trip and the show.  I had paid for two of the challenge blocks last year, and I mailed them to the show in June.  They were very boring blocks indeed.  I did see the display at the show and did see the new fabric and the theme for next year.  Next year's them is "Into the Woods".  I did not purchase any of the challenge blocks for next year's show.  A week after we attended the show, I received a little package in the mail, from Council.  Hmmmmm.  I opened it up and it was three pieces of challenge fabric for the Into the Woods challenge blocks.  I did not pay for these. Why would they send me more challenge fabric when the ones I submitted before were the most boring bland blocks in the entire challenge block display of 2015?   Well, I believe they played their cards right.  1)  this fabric is very versatile and 2) the theme is much more open to the imagination and piecing abilities. 
     Here is what I do when I have two or three challenge fabric pieces to work with.  I use the first piece to cut the largest chunks for my blocks, then I used the second piece for the next largest, etc.  Then after the blocks I need to get done are finished (in this case three), I have scraps that I can use to make one more!   I have finished four challenge blocks for the Council Quilt Show next year.  I am getting ready to mail them in and be done with it.  I suppose I should include payment for the blocks, even though I did not request them.  Here we go:
This is the challenge fabric for 2016
I had this cross-section of tree trunks fabric in my stash
and decided it went well for a simple woodsy pinwheel block.
This boot block is my new favorite, and decided I could adapt
it to the "Into the Woods" theme.
I saw the play "Into The Woods" years ago at BSU.  I remember
it had Rapunzel in it and Megan Tucker, but I don't remember much else.
So here is my Rapunzel block.
I seem to be queen of wonky houses, so I decided to use the scraps
to do a wonky cabin block.  I could find no Fairy Tale subjects in
my stash, so I decided on the Tin Man and his cabin in the woods.
 There is nothing boring about my challenge block entries for the 2016 Council Quilt Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment