Monday, March 18, 2024

String Quilt With Homey Fabrics

I took another brief drive, in whatever remains of what is rural around here, and took another quilt-on-a-barn photo.  It has the spirits of at least five quilters in it.  It has fabrics from Wanda, Donna, Betty, Teresa, and I.  Although my mother was not a quilter, she was a sewer and the chili pepper fabric was hers.  These days, it feels as if barns and quilters/sewers are vanishing.

The barn, on which I pinned up this quilt, is located on Ustick Road, strangely not far from where I spend my time.  Click on the photo and it will be enlarged, so you can see all the different fabrics.  String quilts are pieced on a foundation of fabric or paper.  The strings are narrow strips of fabric, that are typically scraps left over from the construction of other quilts.  This one was started by Betty, who had eleven blocks already pieced on squares of jungle print fabric.  There were more squares of jungle print already cut, so I thought "Why not just make some more?"  I made 41 more, then sewed them all to each other and added the border with little spikes of color coming out.  It was very nicely long-arm quilted by Virginia.


No comments:

Post a Comment