Sunday, October 14, 2012

Today we went to the Nick Cave exhibit at the Boise Art Museum (BAM).  WOW! I have to rethink cleaning out and giving my sweaters to Goodwill. I have this stack of doilies that I could not part with, but do not use. I have an entirely new sewing project in my not too distant future.  My pet peeve with BAM is they do not allow photos to be taken in their museum.  The Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, lets you take photos, and so does that fancy art museum in North Carolina, but not BAM. So, I went on-line, after we got back from our gluten-free lunch at Five Guys and an eye-opening time at the art museum, and found a ton of photos of Nick Cave's creations.  So, I have picked one, to put on my blog, so you can see what fantastic textile artistry is going on here. Although he also reuses found materials from thrift stores, including ceramic bird nic-nacs, old metal toys, metal sculptures, afghans, bags, hats, doilies, buttons, etc.  His costume creations are fantastic. They are stunning from a distance, and the tiny details are fabulous.  Part of the sleeve on one of the costumes had reverse applique on it that made the design.  I so wished I could take a photo.  Here is a photo I found on-line that shows some of the yarn and button detail on one of the costumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment