Sunday, October 19, 2014

Pete's Roughin' It Quilt

Over the years, I have made three quilts for my husband.  He recently told me that he wanted another quilt. This one was something I should not take much care or thought in making, as he just wants one to toss in the back seat of his pick-up.  I have been trying to use up some of my stash, as of late, so I drug out my drapery fabric remnants and found the two fleece blankets that I had been moving from one place to another.  One of the fleece blankets turned out to be a sweatshirt fabric blanket, but I used them both for the backing.  I folded the fleece blanket and sewed the folded edge to the edge of the sweatshirt fabric blanket.  That seam was a little bulky, sew I sewed it down.  I used big chunks of drapery fabric remnants for the top. I had a lot of this dark blue plaid, that I had used to make drapes for my Dad's room just a few months before he passed away.  I don't know what kind of fabric it is, but it is sturdy and hangs really well.  I determined that the fabrics I was using was going to make this a heavy quilt indeed, so I decided not to put any batting in the middle.  I cut the back to the same size as the top, then sewed them right-sides together, leaving a place to turn it right-side-out.  I smoothed it out on my table and pinned it all around the edge and top-stitched  it all around and across the opening. This made for less bulky edges.  Then I got the chalk line from the wood shop and my husband helped me snap lines both directions on the quilt back and I quilted on those lines.  The reason for quilting it with the back facing  up, is because it is stretchy and I wanted the non-stretchy side down for better control.  That worked really well.  The quilting resulted in blocks of approx. 11" square, which is okay because there is no batting inside to shift.  It is plenty heavy and soft and warm due to the properties of the thick sweatshirt fabric and the fleece used on the back.  After I sewed on the chalk lines, I used the lint remover to take off any excess chalk.  After I finished the quilt, I cleaned my machine, to remove some chalk and lint that had been building up for a couple months.  This was a quick quilt that has no binding, and it went together fast and without fuss.  I can tell, already, my husband is attached to this one as much as the others I have made, despite it's total scrappyness. 
This is the first time I used the chalk line, did it just to make it go faster.

2 comments: