Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Fun Red and Blue Baby Quilt

About three years ago, I was looking at some quilting blogs and found a darling pink and white baby quilt that had an asymmetrical design.  I thought it was interesting and different and decided I would like to try making it.  I, eventually, used scraps from previous little boy baby quilts, to make the blocks and red border.  After I completed the top, it drifted around my quilting room for a couple years, before Teresa inspired me to use that gargantuan rick-rack that you find at quilt shops.  I guesstimated how much I would need and bought a bunch of red rick-rack.   I let Teresa do hers first, so I could learn from her mistakes.  I did forget that she rounded the corners on hers, until after I had cut mine after sewing it down one side. Too late now!  I used some dark blue flannel rocket ship fabric that I have had for 10 years.  After I turned it and whip-stitched the opening shut, I smoothed it out and pinned it all over, then I stitched-in-the-ditch and stitched two straight lines lengthwise on the blue fields that are on two sides.  It won't shift around and looks pretty good, if I do say so myself.
pinned it before quilting it with stitch-in-the-ditch
About the guesstimated rick-rack: I had 3 inches left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment