Monday, May 25, 2015

Saturn V Wallhanging (aka mini-quilt)

This is a mini-quilt.  I got my inspiration from a sweet little book with lots of techniques for making mini-quilts:  pretty little mini quilts, published by Lark Books, featuring 25 quilt projects by various designers.  What I like most about the book is all the instructions, including optional binding methods and using embroidery as the actual quilting method.  One of them has French knots all around the edge of the quilt, which inspired me to use French knots as my quilting in the blue outer-space portion of my mini-quilt.  I tied each knot on one of the tiny white squares, so you can't even see them unless you get right up close.  I pieced the entire top, then stitched in the ditch on the rocket and on the curves of the planet and moon. I also ran some wavy stitching across the planet, and since the scrap of fabric I found for the planet has stitches as part of the fabric design, you really can't see the ones I added.  I used white embroidery floss to show the exhaust from the thrusters.  My Saturn V mini-quilt measures 18.25" X 19" finished.  I hope you like it!
For those of you not familiar with the Saturn V rocket,
this is not to scale.  It is my interpretation.

No comments:

Post a Comment