Sunday, January 8, 2017

Dr. Who Quilt


I am looking for my UFO list.  I do have one, but it got packed last year when we were moving and I have not seen it since.  I have two big boxes, in my quilt room, that I have not yet unpacked, so . . . .  Meanwhile, hubby bought some fabric to make a quilt with, so he will be learning all these wonderful skills!  I did get two of the items on my list done in 2016, so I am happy for that.  Unfortunately, I have at least two to add to it.  Now, QN wishes to do a fabric swap thing. Okay, I consent. 
     The Dr. Who quilt is one of the ones I can scratch off my 'to do' list.  I was fortunate to attend a quilting retreat for three days in November, and then one for three days in early December.  I finished up some gifts.  I made my daughter a Dr. Who Quilt.
This is the back of the quilt.  The quilt front is a pattern called Nighttime Blossoms, from Easy Quilts by Fons and Porter; Fall 2015.  
Phyllis Oneal quilted this with a rather squared spiral wave pattern, I really like.  It carries on the timey-wimey swirling through time and space theme of this quilt.
The dimensions are 80" X 80".  The main nighttime blossom fabric is the 'Exploding Tardis' fabric, Dr. Who 2012, by Springs Creative Products Group; Bush Yam X2 by Jeannie Pitjara, M&S Textiles, Australia; several from Derse fabric line; and Grunge Basics for dark background and the binding. I used four fabrics from Marcia Derse line and the 'Line 5" blue reminds me of the tardis door panels.  I used another aboriginal fabric and a batik that I cannot find the information on the lines these came from.
     The pattern was easy, it was just cutting all those rectangles and squares that made the task look daunting.  Perseverance and a 3-day quilting retreat really helped me get it all done.  If you make it with 12 blocks, it will be a lot quicker than doing 25 like I did.  My daughter wanted a 'big' quilt.  Then I went to the Craft Warehouse for backing fabric, where I found more awesome Dr. Who fabric, so I bought some for the back.  I have some left over, so I can make a completely different Dr. Who quilt . . . in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment