Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Happy Veterans Day!

I have today off from work.  I can work on finishing my bandana quilt.  It is an old quilt top that is both hand-pieced and machine pieced, so it is lumpy, uneven, and not squared up.  Phyllis and I consulted over it, last week, about the best way to handle putting borders on it.  Last night I pressed it again, this time with steam.  I straightened one edge and measured across it to even up the other edge, so multiple points across the quilt equal 58 inches, or within a quarter of an inch.  I measured both sides and cut the side borders at 70 1/4 inches.  I got those sewed on last night.  Today I can wrestle with the top and bottom borders then move on to the backing.   Meanwhile, I completed the quilt that I named Phyllis' Phorty.  The star blocks were given to me by Phyllis.  I made the quilt top and backing, and she long-arm quilted it.  It does look stunning.
I photographed it at the Boise VA Medical Center, on the porch of Building 4, which is the old surgeon's quarters.  The building has been renovated, and now functions as offices for Telehealth.  My helpers are Erik and Cody.  The quilt pattern is a modified version of a pattern called Rita's Rose Garden, by Sandy Berry, "Quick and Easy Romantic Quilts."  I used 3 inch sashing strips and my central blocks are bigger than hers, so my quilt is also bigger.  What that means is, I made a bigger quilt with fewer blocks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment