Friday, December 31, 2021

Closing Out 2021

While my husband is having adventures in stirring pudding, waiting for it to boil, I am going to post about the final two or three projects I completed this year.  I have decided the Drunkard's Path quilt, which I named Drunkards Pink, will be posted with the best photo we got of it during the wind and freezing cold on December 18 at Scentsy in Meridian.

The bottom edge is cut off, but other than that I cannot complain.  It is big, 72" X 72", so it needs two people to hold it up, or it needs to be hung up somehow.  I set up the camera on a tripod, and my husband had the remote clicker.  I had bean bags pinned to the bottom, for us to step on, to keep it from whipping up.  I felt like we were the only wind block between Canyon and Elmore Counties After I adjusted the camera, back a little bit, the photos did not improve.  So, this is it!

This is the back of the quilt.  I pinned some short tubes of fabric on the back side, just below the top of the quilt, for something to hold on to when holding the quilt up.  This reduces the number of fingers and knuckles in the photos, when used properly. 
This is my completed block-of-the-month quilt.  Our quilt group did a block-of-the-month challenge for 2021.  We were given a list of fabrics for each month of 2021: January is really bright fabrics, February is stripes, March is tone-on-tone, and so forth.  Then each month we were e-mailed the instructions on how to do the block for that month.  I did an extra three blocks so I would have a longer quilt.  The quilt size is 58.5 inches by 37.5 inches.  I also sized all my blocks to be 9.5" square.  I really do not like 12.5" blocks.  Remember, when you click on the photo it enlarges the photo, so you can see the details better.  The December block has fabric with a little metalic in it, upper left block, and the very center of the block is paper-pieced.  Some of our less seasoned quilters did the paper-piecing on theirs, so I thought I should not skip out on that process just because I am in search of instant gratification.  That tiny center took me hours to finish, when I would rather have done something else.  Credit goes to my friend, Shannan, who was also at the quilting retreat in October.  She got me started and coached me on to completion of that tiny little center square.  This quilt does make me feel like I accomplished something worthwhile.  I have since made more of some of these blocks to use in other quilts this coming year.  We are having the big reveal of all our BoM quilts at our meeting at the end of January.  I am glad mine is finished. 
On December 26, I made what I call a souffle' pillow for the cat that lives in our house.  She detests familiarity.  I made it to fit in a cardboard box.  I put batting in the top and bottom portions and quilted the top.  I put a zipper in, so it can be washed. 

I used fabric scraps to stuff it with and added a few tablespoons of catnip.  So far, Miss Particular has not thought it enticing enough to sit on.  The zipper will aid in additional catnip application, should it be called for.  Highly likely.

I close out 2021, with hopes of kitty bed occupation and many more quilts to come in 2022.  

No comments:

Post a Comment